URGENT ACTION: Petition Stockton City Council in support of resolution to display the pride flag in commemoration of pride month

Tomorrow Stockton City Council has Agenda Item 12.1: Adopt a resolution approving the display of the pride flag in commemoration of pride month.

Considering the number of anti-pride comments that were given during the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors vote, we should expect the same to happen at City Council. Let’s not let them go unchallenged.

Steering Committee can prepare a petition that will let supporters 1-click email to city.clerk@stocktonca.gov (we can create several unique templates and encourage people to write their own so they all get read).

However, to do so, we need six @WCU_Members in Good Standing to support action and the support of @WCU_Steering after.

From Article VIII Section 2: Democratic Approval of Non-Campaign Activities.

A non-campaign activity can gain democratic approval by being brought as a proposal to the general body at a General Meeting. The proposal will require a simple majority of general meeting attendees. For urgent actions between General Meetings, any member can bring a proposal with five co-signers to the Steering Committee. Should the Steering Committee vote not to approve the proposal or judge it to be non-urgent, it can still be approved at the next General Meeting.

If you support this action, please leave a comment below.

1 Like

I support this action.

1 Like

I support this action!

1 Like

I support this action

1 Like

I support this action.

1 Like

I support this action.

1 Like

I would like to approve this action on behalf of the steering committee

1 Like

I am in favor of this

I threw together a template if people aren’t sure what to write.
I don’t think it’s particularly moving but it should get the job done.

“”
Dear Stockton City Council, I would like to express support for the LGBT+ Community
and hope that you decide to pass Agenda Item 12.1 23-0609 the Resolution approving
the display of the Pride Flag in commemoration of Pride Month.

Because Californians have been fighting for LGBT+ rights for more than 150 years,
I feel this would be an effective way to show that the City of Stockton follows in that tradition.

I worry that withdrawing support for communities
whose rights are currently being attacked across
the country sets a dangerous precedent.

While I would love to see my local officials
display the Pride Flag in commemoration of Pride Month,
this would be an improvement for our city and the world.

Thank you for your time.

(YOUR NAME)
“”

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I’m working on it now, should be done in an hour or so.

Should we had a version of the IG post we had and include that in the follow up email that people receive after signing the petition. We could use it to ask people to check out WCU/follow us on social media.

1 Like

Dear Stockton City Council Members,

My name is FIRSTNAME, and I am writing to express my strong support for agenda item 12.1, which proposes the adoption of a resolution approving the display of the Pride Flag in commemoration of Pride Month.

By approving the display, the Stockton City Council would be sending a message of support to the LGBTQ+ community during a time when this community is being targeted by demagogues across the country. This is not a policy or budget item; rather, it is a symbolic gesture intended to foster a sense of belonging among our LGBTQ+ siblings and encourage a welcoming atmosphere within our city. Out of all the things that our LGBTQ community and the broader working class need and deserve from our city, this is one of the simplest requests.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I trust that you will make the right decision for the people of our city.

How’s this? I can’t help but be a little antagonistic; however, they really don’t deserve any pats on the back even if they do pass it.

2 Likes

I think the tone is right given the context. Can we still draft multiple versions with new mode?

1 Like

Yes! If you have another version, leave it here and I’ll add it. I’m just working on the Thank you email now.

1 Like

Strong wording seems appropriate given the circumstances!

Here’s the link: Support Stockton Pride Flag - Sign the Petition

But I’m going to give it some formatting to match our design and finish up the social media images tonight. It’ll be ready for the morning but please double check the language on the website for clarity/errors.

1 Like

Posted on Instagram: Watch this story by 209 times(but not shitty) on Instagram before it disappears.

Wanted to provide some background on the failed county supervisor vote last week (Pride flag won't fly at county building after supervisor's vote ). Folks are showing up at city council for the tree thing tonight too so there will be a lot of energy at tonight’s meeting.

2 Likes

Here are some graphics for sharing on social media. Good thinking on providing the background context.

1 Like

Nice I’ll repost with this graphic as well

1 Like

Sorry everyone, poor timing! Webflow is having outages

Please use this link instead: Support Stockton Pride | New Mode

Edit: the dangers of hosting everything on AWS: https://twitter.com/webflow/status/1668708238534103042?t=i6Q-qStHdJ43dJAAPTaHoQ&s=19

1 Like

I was just about to ask why the site was down!